St. Martin's Day

Tonight we celebrated St. Martin's Day at Shaylee's Kindergarten. St. Martin is known for tearing his cloak in half and giving it to a needy man in the midst of a snowstorm, to save him from dying in the cold. Kids all over Germany make lanterns and walk through the streets singing songs about St. Martin and their lanterns.
Each of the kids made a lantern this year at home. I bought a kit with 3 different lantern sets in it. One afternoon while the kids were on fall break we started making their lanterns. It took a bit of work - but they turned out beautiful! I also bought battery operated lantern lights (they look like a tiny light on the end of a fishing pole). This was great tonight - as I didn't have to worry about any of my kids' lanterns catching on fire! It does (and did) happen to some other kids though.
The kids getting ready to go - lanterns in hand. Shaylee had brought her lantern in to school earlier today, so I took a picture of her with her lantern when we got to the Kindergarten.
Here is a close-up of the lanterns - and the lantern light stick.
Silas did a great job holding his lantern. He actually used a lantern that Sydney had made last year.

The night at the Kindergarten started off by watching a play, reinacting the story of St. Martin. Then we walked and sang with our lanterns around the Kindergarten. We ended the night with a bonfire and eating Martinsfiguren. The kids had a fun time, and I know that they will probably continue to play with their lights and lanterns for days to come!
Silas with his Martinsfiguren - licking the salt off is the best part!
Sydney and friend Jacey. And the bonfire!

2 comments:

The Josh Hill Family..... said...

Hey- What's your email?

Verena said...

Kimber, did you ever eat one of those little St Martins?????
They are sweet and the salt is actually sugar!!!!!! You really need to taste the food before you give it to your kids ;) Might wanna try one next year. Hope you feel better

I hope that makes you smile !!!!