Chestnuts Roasting (take 2)

Awhile back I posted on all the chestnuts we had collected...we were so excited to try out roasting them over an open fire...but then I was told that the type of chestnut we collected was not the edible kind. So I used them for fall decorations instead.
Well, after reading my blog, and informing me we couldn't eat the ones we had collected; my friend Petra picked up some edible chestnuts for me at a store the other day. Last night I decided I'd better give roasting them (in the oven) a try. I looked up on the internet how to roast chestnuts and found out that first you have to cut an X in the top to make sure they don't explode in the oven. Then you put them in the oven and roast them for about 30 minutes. So I gave it a try. After they are done roasting you need to let them cool down a bit before pealing off the outside layer of shell. Shane thought they looked like little brains! Jeremy and I were the only ones to try them. They had a different taste that I can't quite explain, not bad, but I don't know that we will be making this a new tradition or anything like that. It was fun to try it out. Thanks Petra!

No comments: