At Utah beach they have some of the metal and concrete obstacles that were on the beaches to hinder the landing effort. On the beach the kids searched for seashells and rocks and I happened on a hammer which I thought was pretty cool - but it ended up belonging to a French guy that spends his free time searching the beaches for odds and ends from the invasion 64 years ago. We got to talking to him and he showed us some of his finds - cartridges, food containers from soldiers rations, buttons from a jacket, etc...so we started looking around more so ourselves.... and Shane ended up finding a rusted spoon - from a meal kit -how cool is that??? Sydney found a set of keys - but I don't think they dated back to 1944. Apparently over 150,000 TONS of metal was taken from these beaches after WWII - no wonder there is still some to be found so many years later...WOW!
Utah Beach
At Utah beach they have some of the metal and concrete obstacles that were on the beaches to hinder the landing effort. On the beach the kids searched for seashells and rocks and I happened on a hammer which I thought was pretty cool - but it ended up belonging to a French guy that spends his free time searching the beaches for odds and ends from the invasion 64 years ago. We got to talking to him and he showed us some of his finds - cartridges, food containers from soldiers rations, buttons from a jacket, etc...so we started looking around more so ourselves.... and Shane ended up finding a rusted spoon - from a meal kit -how cool is that??? Sydney found a set of keys - but I don't think they dated back to 1944. Apparently over 150,000 TONS of metal was taken from these beaches after WWII - no wonder there is still some to be found so many years later...WOW!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment