Chores

Well - this morning I introduced the kids to a new regiment - CHORES! Not that they haven't done some odds and ends here and there throughout their years - but this is a NEW and FUN way for them to do some stuff for mom. Basically we sat down together and compiled a list of chores they could easily complete - sweeping the floor, taking out the trash, picking up toys, organizing the shoes in the front entry, dusting, watering flowers, sorting laundry, and my all time favorite - Speedy Delivery (basically mommy's go to kid that picks up misc. items and brings them back to their proper location through out the house). I wrote out each chore on a slip of paper and put them all in a jar. Now when I say "Chore Time" they each can pick out a chore and do it. This morning they were all EXCITED to help with chores, and each completed 2 chores with NO complaints. Boy was I proud of them!!! We will see how long this lasts!!! It's been helpful for me - and just another routine we are trying to get into to help life here run smoother before school starts in a few weeks.

I've also started "Mommy's Special Helper" for the day which rotates daily. The special helper has to help with dinner, set the table, do odds and ends if I need something - but they also get the "Special Plate" at meals and sometimes some other perks. This has also worked well lately.

If any of you have any other great ideas that work for your family - please share - as I'm up for trying new things to keep the family running smoothly!

1 comment:

The Josh Hill Family..... said...

You are such a good mom! I miss you! Good ideas -- Caden seems to think that he should get $1.00 for anything and everything that he does around the house. We told him that we were going to start charging him for food that he eats.
I may try the jar idea! I don't have anything brilliant to pass along right now. I think I'm still in survival mode with Noelle 6 months old. I did get up and run this morning on the treadmill -- that was a miracle!