Auf Wiedersehen

Friday, May 20th was the kids last day of school and Silas's last day of Kindergarten. Silas's teacher (and also head of the Kindergarten) Kirsten, made Silas a t-shirt. On the front is a smurf with Silas's name and on the back it says "du Schlumpf Auf Wiedersehen". The reason behind his shirt is this: She would often ask Silas "bist du ein Schlumpf" (are you a smurf?) and he would respond "nein, du" (no, you are). It was a little joke between them.


Silas with Kirsten and also in front of his Kindergarten his last day.



We loved this Kindergarten. Sydney and Shaylee also attended here - and learned to speak fluent German because of it. The teachers were so kind to us and the kids loved them in return. I am so thankful for all they have done for my kids - and how they made our 4 year stay here in Germany a wonderful experience. Vielen Dank!!! We have many fond memories of the Kindergarten and the kids made great friends here. It was sad to say goodbye- definately harder on mommy than on Silas.


Silas didn't want to get in the picture -so he's in the background....but here are his two friends Mike and Sophia.

Later that afternoon at the kids' school.....saying goodbye to their friends. Shaylee's class made her a book with pictures of each of the kids and a little message from each one. It was so thoughtful of them. Its gifts like these that make me cry. Shaylee had a few very special friends. Here she is with her friend Elli.




Shaylee and her friend Elektra

Shaylee and her friend Leticia


She will definately miss her friends! And mommy will miss the parents - sniff, sniff.

Shane's classmates gave him a t-shirt with a class photo on the front and signed their names on the back. Here he is with 3 of his best buds - Eric, Zack and Thomas.


Sydney's classmates also gave her a t-shirt with a class photo (thanks Catia for organizing). I'm not sure why, but for some reason I have NO photos of Syd with her friends on that day. When I realized this I was sooo sad. (So if any of you happen to read this and happen to have a photo of your child with Syd - would you be willing to email a copy to me? I'd be so grateful.) Sydney's class also put together a book with information on each child and some photos. Sydney sure treasures this book and has spent time looking/reading through it daily. I think she is missing her friends the most so far.

Thursday evening we had supper with our friends Sergey and Lilianna and their boys Gosha and Yura. They have been great friends to us and we've so enjoyed getting to know them and spending time with them the past few years. We will miss them dearly!



Sydney and Shaylee with their friend Jacey. And me with my good friend Sibylle (Jacey's mom). Sibylle is German and married to an American. She moved to Germany around the same time we did back in 2007. Sydney and Shaylee went to Kindergarten with Jacey...and from there our friendship grew and grew. Sibylle is the type of friend you can always count on. She was always there for me - whenever I needed something. She'd help translate stuff for me from German to English. She watched the kids for me when I needed a babysitter. I knew she was just a phone call away if I needed anything. She was also one of the teacher's at the Kindergarten - and spent the last year teaching Silas's class. It was so nice to have her there to help him adjust those first few weeks when he didn't understand much German. Knowing she was there helped both him (and me). He loved her and always wanted to go home with her after Kindergarten. There was just something welcoming about her place. I loved going over to her place just to hang out - never needing to impress - just be yourself. She is such a awesome friend and I will miss her so much.



My friend Verena just happened to be visiting her family in Germany the week I was moving. Verena knows all about the moving process as she moved to the US from Germany in January of 2010. It was great to have her stop in. She brought me some German cheese cake and a coffee on Tuesday morning when I was in the midst of packing and the packers. I look forward to being on the same side of the ocean as her now....even though we are a few states away we've already started planning trips to see eachother!



And there are many more of you that we will miss dearly. I can't begin to list you - for I know that I'll forget someone (but hopefully you know who you are). Wether you were co-workers with Jeremy, fellow Expats, parents of classmates, etc...we've enjoyed getting to know each one of you - and we will always treasure the memories made in Germany. So many of you have helped us out in one way or another. Especially these past few weeks with the kids - having last minute playdates or bringing the kids' home from school so that I could get some things accomplished around the house. Each little thing you did for us was a blessing and I am so grateful. It is the relationships that we've made these past 4 years that will stick in our hearts. We are forever changed because of having met you. This isn't goodbye - instead Auf Wiedersehen - we hope to see you again!

No comments: