More Sights Around London

It is taking me forever to update this blog on our London trip - once again I took way too many photos and we did so much - but I want to share it all on here, because this is my online scrapbook - and if I don't get it done now (or in the next few days) I may NEVER get to it. So hope you don't mind getting a bit more about London every few days...and maybe I'll even get to post about what we did LAST weekend here shortly - or at least before this weekend is over?? High hopes....

ANYWAY....Some more sights from around London.

Trafalgar Square
There are these HUGE lions (which remind me of Aslan from Narnia) which apparently you can climb on...but they were setting up a huge stage around them for something (which we found out later was a protest/rally of sorts)...so we didn't get to play on them...but that would have been a lot of fun!

Kids looking out onto the square from the National Gallery (where we warmed up and saw some art).
Westminster Abbey

Shane and Syd pointing at "The Royal Engagement" - wedding of William and Kate will be at Westminster Abbey in April.
Harrods - for all of you out there who LOVE to shop!!
It was neat to walk around and look at everything...and this store has everything! When we first entered I checked out some prices on purses...oh my...they were OUTRAGEOUS!!! But amazingly there was also quite a bit of reasonably priced stuff too.
Loved this sign...
And you heard "mind the gap" all the time as you got off the underground trains.
I kept seeing these signs around London and at first glance I thought they said "TOILET". Obviously they say "TO LET" which is the same as saying "For Rent" - but the British just use different wording (of which I might add that I truely love the way the British talk and the different words they use). I just had to take a picture though, because I kept thinking toilet everytime...and there were a lot of these signs around London. (I must be a mom who is always on the look out for a place for her kids to go pee - ha, ha, ha!)

A trip to London would not be compete without a photo in a RED PHONE BOOTH.

How many people can fit in one of them anyway??? Honestly I don't know that anyone actually uses phone booths to make calls anymore (obviously since almost everyone has cellphones) but I guess these red booths around London still get used by tourists for photo ops:)
In the "Underground" waiting for our next "tube" ride. Shaylee is hiding again...
Story that needs to be told about one incident we had while using the underground trains: We were hurrying to get on a train that was ready to leave (you usually hear this beeping, which signals that the doors are shutting and the train is leaving). The girls (Shaylee and Sydney) were able to get on, but then the doors closed - leaving Jer and I (with Shane, Silas, and Shelby) standing there - panic!!! Everything happened so quickly - we were pounding on the doors, trying to push the "open" buttons to get the doors to open again before the train just took off down the dark tunnel taking my children off to who knows where never to be seen again....more frantic panic!!!! The look on the girls' faces - especially Sydney's looking out at mommy and daddy from behind closed doors! Fortunately other passengers already on the train saw what was happening and also pushed the "open" buttons from inside and we definately had guardian angels watching over us because the DOORS OPENED again and the rest of us got on - and away the train went. HUGE sighs of relief washed over us all. OH MY! What would we have done had the girls been whisked away?? From then on we had a game plan that if such an event was to happen again: whoever was on the train would ride to the next station and then get off and wait - and the rest us would take the next train and also get off at the next station - and joyfully be reunited. Fortunately we never had to put our game plan into action - but good to have one setup for future events such as these. Oh, I've got goosebumps all over again just writing about this story! Thank you Lord for watching over my girls!!!

No comments: