Wurzburg

Saturday, September 4, 2010 - After our visit to Wartburg Castle we drove to a city called Wurzburg. We began at the Residenz (which had a great parking lot right in front) and from there took a walking tour of Wurzburg.
The Residenz has beautifully manicured gardens, but unfortunately we didn't have time to stroll through them...maybe we will come back again someday. For now we just took a quick peek along with a quick picture.

In the heart of Wurzburg there was a little wine fest going on - so we stopped and enjoyed some wine, along with some wurst and kartoffeln; as it was already supper time, and one can hardly pass up a chance to eat more wurst :)

Then we headed on to the Old Main Bridge (bridge over the Main River) which dates from 1133 and is the second-oldest in Germany. There are 12 statues lining the bridge - which give it a unique appearance.

Standing on the bridge - overlooking the river, with the vineyards in the background, and the Marienberg Fortress up on the hill. Unfortunately we also didn't have time to hike up to the fortress, but I'm sure from up there, there would have also been a great view looking down on Wurzburg.

While we were walking along the bridge a guy was playing the bagpipes. It was awesome to stand and listen to him play. We just hung around and enjoyed the music since it was just a gorgeous evening!

More photos of the sites in Wurzburg.


I took this photo of the pink building because of all the flower boxes on the windows. I love this time of year when all the flowers are blooming and they decorate the buildings so beautifully.

Also, a few photos of the churches we saw. I don't think I could ever tire of seeing the spires! That is one thing I will miss when we leave Germany - all those church spires!

No comments: