Chicken for Dinner

This blog isn't just for pretty scenery pictures - it also tells the story of day to day life - well this post is one of those stories.

I decided since the sun was out I was going to walk to pick the girls up from Kindergarten today. As we turned the corner onto our street I heard a bird of some sort squawking. As we got closer to our house I noticed a man in his backyard holding a chicken. This was the bird I had heard. I then see him take an ax and wack the chicken. No more squawking. I guess he was going to have chicken for dinner! As we continued on I remembered times as a kid when I had helped "process" chickens at my grandpa and grandma's farm....no big deal...it was actually kind of fun seeing headless chickens running around a such. Anyway, I know that all chicken you purchase at the store comes from a chicken that at one time was alive....but it just hit me odd to see a man wack his chicken in his backyard. I guess that is Germany for you. Even though we live in town many people have little farms/gardens as part of their backyards. Its pretty common to see an old barn right next to a new house. I sometimes find this strange - but other times find it just part of life here.

Anyway - anyone having FRESH Chicken for dinner??

1 comment:

Arizona Gronseths said...

My uncle used to tell stories of chickens running around after getting chopped. Never saw it myself, and I'm not really in any hurry to do so.

btw, azgronseth@msn.com