The Jesse Tree - A Promise for Advent

December is upon us - and with December comes all the preparations for Christmas. One of the things our family does each December to help us focus on the Reason for the Season - is the Jesse Tree. This is a wooden tree that we hang up that has 25 little nails. Each day, from the 1st to the 25th, we read from a devotional book and then hang up an ornament representing a Biblical figure that the devotional was about. Each devotional, from Adam to Jesus reminds us of God's Promise - of His love and faithfulness through the generations.

I first made my Jesse Tree back at Orchard Hill Church during my Mom's Morning Out days. At the time Sydney must have been a newborn and Shane wasn't even 2...but I loved the idea and wanted something my kids could learn from and enjoy each advent season. I have several friends (you know who you are) that made Jesse Trees with me. A few days ago I was reading my friend Emily Hill's blog and noticed she posted about their family tradition of the Jesse Tree. I commented right away, and said "we are doing ours too." How awesome to know that across the miles - we are being consistent with teaching our kids about JESUS! (And of course how could I not do a post about it too!- thanks Emily!)

The Jesse Tree has proven to be a wonderful learning tool for our family. Over the years as the kids have gotten older by the end of December they have been able to memorize each of the ornaments and who they represent. Silas has shown interest this year and wants to be the one to hang the ornament on the tree. We've worked out a system where each day we take turns and rotate. But each day Silas asks "me turn?" Shane and Sydney are now old enough to read the devotional booklet and the scripture passage from the Bible. It is fun to sit around the table after supper and walk through the story of God's promise. I am so grateful to Sally Baker from Orchard Hill Church who put the devotional together those many years ago. I hope that she is still doing this: as it is a great tool for families to share in God's wonderful story - and above all to teach their children the Reason for the Season is JESUS!

Silas holding up one of the ornaments (colorful coat representing Joseph) and Sydney hanging the ornament on the Jesse Tree.

All the kids in front of our Jesse Tree

1 comment:

The Josh Hill Family..... said...

Good job! It's such a fantastic tool! Caden say he remembers sleddng down your big hill and riding the 4-wheeler back up. Oh..the good ol' days seem like just yesterday!